We had a lovely weekend camping.
Friday...
Here's our campsite.

It really was
this green.

We loved falling asleep to the sound of the stream 30 feet from our site

Nitrate/preservative free chicken hotdogs for dinner... they were pretty good!

Banana slug! we found a lot of these critters over the weekend
That night as we were drifting off to sleep, we were startled awake by loud cracking, groaning, a whoosh, an then a terrible thud. Somewhere off in the forest, a tree went down. It was an impressive sound that I had never heard until then.
Saturday...
A walk in a canyon full of ferns and frogs.
We saw an elk

and visited a nearby waterfall.


After a very full day, we headed back to our campsite and roasted marshmallows in a tired stupor

We're realizing that our bodies are aging. Sleeping on the ground with only a sleeping bag for padding was much more uncomfortable than I recall in previous camping trips over the years. Speaking of growing older, I found a beautiful silvery white hair growing from my head last week. Spencer thinks I should thank College of the Canyon's Registered Nursing Program for that...
SundayWe got our site packed up and drove about 15 minutes north where we enjoyed a hot breakfast at a small town diner. We then headed for a nearby outlook in hopes of spotting a plume of river water flowing into the sea. Spencer will doing a 4 day cruise collecting samples from this river plume next week, so he was hoping he could eyeball the location of the plume for future reference. Sadly, all we could see was fog and it never did burn off that day.
We spent the afternoon wandering around on the beach, getting sunburnt, and enjoying a very scenic dirt road drive home.
I used up too many spoons this weekend and am now severely lacking, but it was well worth it. It was such a blessing and encouragement for Spencer and I to "get away" for a few days.
This Psalm came to mind a lot during the weekend...
Psalm 104
Praise the LORD, O my soul.
O LORD my God, you are very great;
you are clothed with splendor and majesty.
He wraps himself in light as with a garment;
he stretches out the heavens like a tent
and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.
He makes the clouds his chariot
and rides on the wings of the wind.
He makes winds his messengers,
flames of fire his servants.
He set the earth on its foundations;
it can never be moved.
You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
the waters stood above the mountains.
But at your rebuke the waters fled,
at the sound of your thunder they took to flight;
they flowed over the mountains,
they went down into the valleys,
to the place you assigned for them.
You set a boundary they cannot cross;
never again will they cover the earth.
He makes springs pour water into the ravines;
it flows between the mountains.
They give water to all the beasts of the field;
the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
The birds of the air nest by the waters;
they sing among the branches.
He waters the mountains from his upper chambers;
the earth is satisfied by the fruit of his work.
He makes grass grow for the cattle,
and plants for man to cultivate—
bringing forth food from the earth:
wine that gladdens the heart of man,
oil to make his face shine,
and bread that sustains his heart.
The trees of the LORD are well watered,
the cedars of Lebanon that he planted.
There the birds make their nests;
the stork has its home in the pine trees.
The high mountains belong to the wild goats;
the crags are a refuge for the coneys.
The moon marks off the seasons,
and the sun knows when to go down.
You bring darkness, it becomes night,
and all the beasts of the forest prowl.
The lions roar for their prey
and seek their food from God.
The sun rises, and they steal away;
they return and lie down in their dens.
Then man goes out to his work,
to his labor until evening.
How many are your works, O LORD!
In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.
There is the sea, vast and spacious,
teeming with creatures beyond number—
living things both large and small.
There the ships go to and fro,
and the leviathan, which you formed to frolic there.
These all look to you
to give them their food at the proper time.
When you give it to them,
they gather it up;
when you open your hand,
they are satisfied with good things.
When you hide your face,
they are terrified;
when you take away their breath,
they die and return to the dust.
When you send your Spirit,
they are created,
and you renew the face of the earth.
May the glory of the LORD endure forever;
may the LORD rejoice in his works-
he who looks at the earth, and it trembles,
who touches the mountains, and they smoke.
I will sing to the LORD all my life;
I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
May my meditation be pleasing to him,
as I rejoice in the LORD.
But may sinners vanish from the earth
and the wicked be no more.
Praise the LORD, O my soul.
Praise the LORD.
12 thoughts:
Hey Melody Neat pictures! Glad you guys had a great time! I like the scripture too. Where did you guys go camping?I miss see you at church. Grace to you?
Heavens to Betsy -- no pads under your sleeping bags??!! Go get some!
Absolutely gorgeous pix - I wanna go there!
Psalm 104 - so encouraging. It is exactly what I needed right now. I am at work, it is absolutely insane, and I have no idea when I will be leaving. But the Lord knows all and has everything in his control. That is very reassuring. =0)
The pictures are beautiful! It looks very relaxing. YOU SAW AN ELK!!! Totally cool! I am glad you got a chance to go away for a bit.
oh, and the feet picture - very nice =0)
What a beautiful scrapbook of your weekend away together. Your photos are fantastic, Melody, especially the banana slug. Wow! And I love the reflections from Psalms. Very appropriate, indeed! Seems like your time in God's creation was worth a spoon or two. Rest up for your next adventure. Love you and Spencer.
Seriously?! The place where you guys live is just so gorgeous! Every time you post new pictures it just keeps getting more and more beautiful! I'm so glad you and Spencer were able to get out of the house and enjoy the Lord's creation together! Praying for you Mel!
Loverly, simply loverly. You do live in a wondrous corner of God's planet earth. You two look so happy together. Much love from afar and right there with you in spirit. Dad
That looked like soooooo much fun. So glad you could do it!
Not to be redundant...but I love the pictures! Sweet that you went camping! We're really hoping to do some camping this summer. As of yet, we've not been good at fitting that into our summers, but we're going to try....
mel
So beautiful! And the Psalm is a wonderful companion to the pictures. You are such an encouragement to me, Melody! I am glad you got a weekend away. Seeing nature makes me anxious to get out of the city!
-Jenn
Hi Melody :)
Warren and I are camping for two nights in Vermont at the beginning of our honeymoon- seeing your pictures made me excited- we can't wait to be surrounded by nature for a few days! Your campground looks exceptionally beautiful with lots of wildlife. Great pics.
Wow Melody, I love your photos and commentary. The Psalm is wonderful. What an encouragement you are through your faith and faithfulness. May the Lord replenish your spoons. Please give our love to Spencer.
Post a Comment