Wednesday, September 10, 2008

another monthly update

*sigh* Where does the time go? I'm hoping I can update more often than monthly, but I cannot make any promises at this point!


This past month has been incredibly difficult for us. I have been SO very ill. My health has declined a great deal since late July and I literally spend day after day in bed or wilted on the couch. Two days ago it was a victory for me to muster up the strength to take a shower. That was all I was strong enough to accomplish that entire day.


The same chronic fatigue is persisting, but at a much more overwhelming level now. I also began experiencing severe, unrelenting joint pain over a month ago--pain intense enough to keep me from sleeping much and to cause even simple tasks like writing, typing, washing my hair, etc to be very difficult and painful. The pain is most severe in my wrists and fingers, though it also consistently afflicts my elbows, knees, hips, shoulders, ankles, and toes. And to add one more crazy symptom, I am experiencing a great deal of pain in my right side under my ribs, presumably my liver. I'll spare you any further symptoms, but do know I have quite a "list" of them and I spend each day is a great deal of pain and discomfort.


I'm already feeling squirmy about typing out such a depressing list of complaints and have deleted several symptoms out of fear that this is all sounding very "woe is me" and pitiful, but I need you all to know that I am struggling greatly.


My dear, sweet, compassionate husband is taking excellent care of me. He is a full time student, working long hours to support us, staying up late into the night studying, and then also doing all of the cooking and cleaning. He has quite a burden to bear all on his own, but he is bearing it with joy and humility, trusting that God will see us through this. I have a great deal to learn from this wonderful, godly man whom I am SO blessed to call my husband. My eyes are welling up with tears just thinking about it. Also, my own precious, sweet mother graciously spent over 2 weeks with us, cooking, cleaning, encouraging, and helping in any way she could. She was such an immense blessing to both of us. Spencer and I were both commenting last night that it seems like "forever" since she left, when really she only left last Friday. Mom, THANK YOU for visiting us and giving so selflessly!


I am growing incredibly weary typing this out and have had to take numerous breaks already, but I do want to ask for prayer for some particular things:

  • Please pray that I can get an appointment with our local rheumatologist ASAP. There have been some delays thus far due to people in the office misplacing my referral, and last I hear, the soonest I could get in would be mid October. We really are hoping we can get in sooner, as waiting another month feeling the way I do is a difficult thought to bear. We are praying that the office staff will be understanding and schedule me for an earlier date.
  • We definitely want to mention that God HAS answered our prayers about getting a referral to the rheumatologist in the first place, which is a huge blessing. The whole medical care system in our area is incredibly impacted, due to a large number of physicians either retiring or moving out of the area recently, making it very difficult to get in ANYwhere as a new patient. Most doctors will not see new patients until 2009. No specialists here will see patients without a referral, but it was very difficult to just find a general practitioner accepting new patients in order to even be able to ask for a referral. God graciously allowed me to get in to a walk-in clinic and even though the MD was initially unsupportive and skeptical of my symptoms, the results of the blood work he ordered convinced him that yes, I should see a rheumatologist. Praise God!
  • Please pray for wisdom for us as we navigate through the medical care system, seeking the right doctors and treatments. Also pray that we will ultimately remember and trust that ALL of this is in God's hands.
  • Also, please pray for our spiritual growth and endurance through all of this. It has been such a difficult, draining, dark time for us, but we don't want to lose sight of all that God is doing in our hearts through this trial. His grace IS sufficient, but so often it is easy to lose sight of that and become discouraged. 

If you have read this long post, thank you so much for taking the time to do so! As I'm able, I'll try to post more often...

8 thoughts:

Annette said...

Thinking and praying for you, Melody...

Kirra said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sad reading this news. Melody I am so sorry you are bearing this all alone up there (well, not entirely alone...but lets face it, Spencer isn't in the apt. with you 24/7). I'm so glad you have such a loving husband and he is taking good care of you in the ways he is capable. I know that God will take all of this mess and somehow work it out for the good of you and Spencer. I can't imagine how hard your days must be. I will be praying for the specific things you asked for. I'm so sure you've looked into this, but just in case, I have at least 3 friends who have experienced very similar symptoms (almost exactly the symptoms you are describing and written to me about) and have gone to an all natural doctor (they are more expensive and the problems might take a little longer to get to) but they are almost completely healed of these issues. These doctors have used vitamins and all natural remedies to restore their bodies. I'm not sure if you've looked into things like that or not, but just in case, I wanted to encourage you to check that out. Thanks for writing an update sweet friend. You guys are in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

A continuing stream of prayer goes out for you, and I'm thankful and hopeful about the neurologist, also glad your mother could spend that time with you and Spencer. I love you. This is your grandma on your dad's side.

Anonymous said...

Melody,
I am also so sad to read this, but so glad for the update. We try to remember to pray for you, but the more specifics we have, the easier it is to remember. Don't ever feel bad about telling the truth about how you feel! Nobody thinks you are complaining, and we all need the reminder of how easy our lives are :)
You are an inspiration in Faith and Humility, so keep up the good work, thought the outward you seems wasting, the inward you is being renewed day by day! Praise God!

DeedieLynn said...

I love you, and many, many others love you, too!

1 In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry.
May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm.
2 May he send you help from his sanctuary
and strengthen you from Jerusalem.
Psalm 20:1-2

DWKing said...

Love you, Honey. You're in our prayers... always.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update melody. It always is a joy to read a new post from you.
you and Spencer are in my thoughts and prayers :D
God bless!
*abigail

Hayley Hays said...

I'm so sorry to read this news! I'll be thinking of and praying for you...our God has good plans, even when we can't understand what in the world those plans could be.