Friday, October 31, 2008

butternut squash

I'm eating some. Topped with coconut oil, cinnamon, and a bit of agave syrup. It's yummy :)

I've been meaning to post sooner, but well, I've been feeling truly awful and really haven't felt like there's much new to say...

Here's some of the highlights from the past 2 weeks:

- I said goodbye to my dear, sweet family who graciously allowed me to stay with them for 4 weeks. I miss them and am so thankful for the support and compassion they have shown to Spencer and me.

- I flew back home to my beloved! It is SO good to be back home with Spencer :) We are both ridiculously giddy to be under the same roof again. What a blessing.

- Spencer is faithfully plugging away at school and work. It has been a very full, stretching semester for him, but he is doing well in his classes and is really enjoying the content. We are looking at his potential schedule of classes for spring and praying that he will be able to get the classes that he needs at the right time.

- I had a good day last Sunday - I had enough energy to make dinner, take a shower, AND do dishes. It's literally been months since I've had the strength/energy to do all 3 in one day. Seriously. It was so nice to feel productive and useful.

- The rest of the past 2 weeks I've felt absolutely terrible. The same way I've been feeling for months and months, so no big change so far in my overall health status. I'm trying to remain hopeful though! I've spent this week either confined to bed due to the severity of the pain, weakness, and dizziness, or else curled up on the bathroom floor debating whether or not throwing up might help somehow.

- My husband is wonderful. He's such an encouragement to me and I respect and admire him so much. He just keeps pressing on and is joyfully and patiently accepting our painful circumstances, lovingly serving and nurturing his sick (and often ridiculously emotional) wife, reminding her that God WILL take care of us. Not that this is "news," but I just wanted to share how thankful I am for this man :)

- My biodfeedback contraption is currently making its way to our home via a fedex truck... stay tuned!

- I never thought I'd say this sort of thing, but I ♥ my prescription pain medication. It doesn't take the pain away, but it takes the edge off and allows me to sleep a little better, which is a huge blessing.

- I'm feeling discouraged about the diet I've been on for the past month. I've been avoiding gluten, soy, and egg for months and months because they definitely make me feel worse - I intend to continue avoiding these items indefinitely. I have additionally eliminated potato, tomato, peppers, eggplant, citrus, sugar, and limited dairy and legumes, per my doctor's suggestion. I've noticed little to no change in my symptoms. Of all these foods...I REALLY miss tomato the most. In a couple of weeks I have an appointment by phone with my doctor, so I definitely want to hold out at least until then to see what he thinks.

- I'm faithfully taking the vitamins and supplements recommended to me. So far not noticing much change, but these things do take time, so I'm trying to remain patient and diligent.

- My dear, sweet sister-in-law Heather (Spencer's brother Matt's wife) was actually diagnosed yesterday with fibromyalgia herself! She has been struggling a great deal with her health for quite some time now. We've been commiserating over and comparing our similar symptoms (debilitating fatigue, severe pain, sleep issues) for the past couple of years, but it is still rather funny (and quite sad!) that we both actually have fibromyalgia. Please, when you pray for me and my health struggles, remember to pray for her too.

Well, that's all for now. Thank you so much for your continued prayers. Overall we are hanging in there, but there are days we are discouraged and frustrated, feeling like there is no relief in sight, both for me as the sick person, and for Spencer as the caregiver.

I've been dwelling a lot on 2 Corinthians 4:16-18...
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this LIGHT MOMENTARY affliction is preparing for us an ETERNAL WEIGHT of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

7 thoughts:

Rochelle said...

Which pain med are you on? Glad it's helping take the edge off. I'm still trying to figure that stuff out. I had to remove tomatoes from my diet and one point too... I missed them so much. But I was able to reinstate them and I'm fine in that sense now.

Continuing to pray for us both....

DWKing said...

Thank you for this excellent update. Still praying, loving and hoping. We are so grateful for you and for your incredible husband. I love you, dear Melody.

havilah said...

You have been added to our nightly prayer list! You know you are good and added when the kids remind you to pray for so and so. They are quite distraugt you don't feel well all the time.
I am amazed looking at your blogs by topic list. You mention depression 2 times in comparison to fun 15 times? Girl, you amaze me! Hang in there!
Wishing you a better than average day!
Havilah

lindahitzeroth said...

You are an amazingly strong young woman, Melody. Your focus on God throughout your time of suffering is inspirational to me. Hope your bio-feedback machine arrives soon, and in the mean time, don't be embarrassed that you are liking the relief you are experiencing with your meds. So glad that they help, even a little.

You and Spencer are never far from our thoughts, and always in our prayers. We love you both!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you my friend! =0) I miss you both so much!!! Thanks for the update.

DeedieLynn said...

Just read this now - thanks for posting - I miss you but I'm glad you are home with Spencer.
Mom

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update :) it's good to hear how you are doing, although i am very sorry that it is still so difficult for you. you are in my thoughts and prayers. much love
*Abigail