Thursday, October 09, 2008

fibromyalgia

Looks like I have a label. Still waiting on additional test results to rule out a few other autoimmune problems, but my rheumatologist felt quite confident in diagnosing me with fibromyalgia during my first appointment with him.

I am incredibly exhausted and in pain and must confess that I've been putting off making a post on this blog. I think there's part of me that hasn't wanted to make this public just yet, as I'm still trying to come to grips with this diagnosis. Fibromyalgia isn't degenerative thankfully, but it's something that doesn't go away, so it's taking time for me to process that. Thankfully there are things I can do to at least optimize my health and make the most out of the few spoons I have :)

Since 2001, I have been labeled with chronic fatigue syndrome, as it best seemed to fit the many difficult, mysterious symptoms that I routinely struggle with at varying degrees of severity. Over the years, many doctors told me I didn't have fibromyalgia, despite the overwhelming fatigue and near constant pain I experienced - the pain was draining and difficult to cope with, but not severe enough to prompt anyone, even me, to seriously consider fibromyalgia. I had taught myself early on how to partially tune out the pain in order to function and it honestly became a *normal* thing for me-if someone were to ask me how I felt, I'd tell them I felt nauseous or dizzy, but the pain didn't even occur to me any longer as an *abnormal* symptom. Now that I look more and more into fibromyalgia, I'm amazed that no doctors up until now gave it any serious consideration, seeing as I have nearly ALL of the many symptoms...

It's been over two months now, that the pain became so incredibly severe and excruciating and it still has not let up (thankfully I have had a couple "not too bad" days sprinkled in these 2 months). A dear, sweet, wise friend shared, "maybe God is allowing [me] to have such severe symptoms so that the doctors can better diagnos what [I] need." I think she just may be right :)

When I have more energy, I'll try to write out a more thorough update. Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support. I have two more appointments next week and then God willing, I will be heading back home to my beloved husband!

3 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Oh Melanie
I am so sorry to read how unwell you have been and also about the diagnosis.
Thankfully you now know what you are dealing with.
I pray the drs will now be able to give you the correct and necessary treatment to help you to be more weller :-).

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for you (and Spencer, too!)

Thanks for keeping us updated, I know how hard it must be.

DWKing said...

I love you, Melody. And I count you among the greatest blessings our Lord has brought into my life. We're always here for you and in your corner through it all. God bless you, beloved one.