Tuesday, December 23, 2008

a moment of clarity

Today I am more mentally alert than usual. I'd better take advantage of this clarity, as it's been a rare thing lately.

I have spent this past week crumpled on the couch in immense pain and overwhelming nausea, only able to get up for trips to the bathroom. It's been a miserable existence for me. At least this misery is a good sign - it means the antibiotics are doing their job and are beginning to kill off the Lyme critters - otherwise known as Borrelia burgdorferi.

Spencer and I are continuing to educate ourselves about Lyme disease, reading through scientific journals, websites, online forums, etc. We really want to see the recently made documentary about Lyme, Under Our Skin. It's probably not going to play in our area, so we'll have to wait until it is released on DVD, but if it's playing near you, check it out! Click here to view the trailer.

Spencer has been working hard for our landlord this week, ripping out old flooring, installing new flooring, replacing toilets, and other handyman stuff. It is such a relief for him to come home from work and NOT have to study. We are sure savoring this school-free month.

This Christmas, it will be just the two of us. Traveling is incredibly taxing for me, so we're going to lie low and stay in northern CA.

5 thoughts:

havilah said...

Merry Christmas! Thinking of you and praying for you! I am glad Spencer has a break, I hope you are able to just rest together as much as possible.

DWKing said...

Watched the trailer. It's chillingly well done. It appears to be available on DVD as a pre-screener. I'd be glad to order it for you if you'd like. Lots of love and continued prayers. XOX Dad

lindahitzeroth said...

Sorry you are feeling the negative effects of your medicine, but encouraged that it's because of the elimination of the culprit that's been tormenting you for these many years. So I guess that it's at least productive pain, making it somewhat more tolerable, I hope. Glad for your mental clarity, certainly.

Happy for Spencer doing his maintainance work and then coming home to a study free zone, at least in terms of college study, that is. Sounds like you two are really educating yourselves on Lyme disease. It will help you both to learn as much as you can.

Vic said...

Hi,
Thanks for your comment on my blog I am sorry that you can relate with me. I always feel bad when others are going through difficult times as well. I hope if anything awareness comes out of this and that others hear about it and that it changes how they deal with pain, or makes them want to do something to keep others protected. You have a wonderful blog going and it's quite inspiring. Thank you for stopping by! :)

Rochelle said...

It's smart for you guys to be researching so much. I'm glad Spencer has this month off from school and you guys can just relax and take it easy! Sorry you've had some rough days/weeks lately. But glad you are on the road to recovery... no matter how long it takes. Here to talk when you need it!