Thursday, December 11, 2008

what I learned today

First of all, I've got a lovely case of shingles. It's been a rough week, to say the least. I've been struggling a great deal with intense, relentless pain in my joints and muscles, overwhelming fatigue, a cold that I can't seem to fight off, and then a nasty batch of shingles got thrown into the mix. We're certainly being kept on our toes :)

This afternoon, after confirming with my doctor that I do indeed have shingles, we went over some of my recent blood test results. Most stuff came back nice and normal. Hoorah. I did, however, test positive for lyme disease.

Wow.

I would like to further elaborate, but in a nutshell, this is big news. It's very possible that I've had lyme disease for years, wreaking havoc on my immune and nervous systems. At this point it is not clear whether I still do have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome - lyme disease very well may be part of the underlying culprit that "triggered" the development of both syndromes. As I go through treatment, we'll hopefully get a better picture of just how much of a role lyme disease has played in my health struggles.

l will try to post a more thorough update and explanation as my energy and painful fingers and wrists allow.

Please keep Spencer in your prayers this upcoming week! He has a big paper and another project due next week, as well as finals. He has been working so hard juggling school, work, and taking care of me, and is quite exhausted.

My dear, sweet mother is staying with us this week to help out. What a blessing she has been to us! Little did we know just how much we would need and appreciate her help during this hectic, draining week. It has been so helpful and encouraging to have her company and to have meals prepared, dishes and laundry washed, etc so that Spencer can focus on finishing up a very demanding semester. We are so very thankful and blessed.

7 thoughts:

Rochelle said...

Oh wow! What a week, no kidding! I am praying for all of you during this tough time. But, alas, I have a dear friend who had Lyme disease and all she had to do was eliminate dairy and her pain was nearly eliminated! I know it's different for each case, but I hear Lyme disease can look similar to FMS and CFS, but is much easier to treat. I hope and pray that for you, that turns out to be true, and that you will soon find ways to recover from it. I'm thankful for your doctor and this discovery. (I've been tested for that too, but I don't have it.) And I'm soooo sorry to hear about the case of shingles! Oh sweetie, God be with you. I am sure that's just awful. Praise the Lord for your wonderful mother who has been able to help in such great ways this week!

You are a blessing and inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing these latest details. Psalm 56:3-4 keep trusting him and do not be afraid! He holds you in the palm of his hand.

Monica Gee said...

This is huge progress! I hope and pray that the doctor is able to find an effective form of treatment. Hoping you are resting and finding true comfort in our gracious Lord!

Jennifer said...

I'll be praying for you and Spencer. I am glad your mom could come up and help out. You might want to check out this blog: http://www.austenquotes.com/
The author is a Christian, Jane Austen fan, and struggling with Lyme Disease. You are an encouragement to me, Melody. I hope this diagnosis will lead to better treatment and faster healing for you. I miss you and hope we can talk soon.

DWKing said...

It was great talking with you today, Honey. Much love to you and your hubby (and your mother!). Dad

lindahitzeroth said...

I'm so, so sorry that you are suffering with the shingles,on top of everything else. I've heard that it is extremely painful, adding yet another layer of pain to your already tortured body.

We can only continue to trust that our faithful God has chosen to reveal the presence of the Lyme disease at this time, rather than earlier in your cycle of illness. We will certainly be praying that the treatment prescribed will be effective and that you will be blessed with steady and complete relief from all your symptoms. You are loved, Melody.

Annette said...

Wow, Melody. I know it is probably discouraging to keep finding out about all of these ailments, but I am encouraged every time you get a diagnosis. I think every diagnosis you're given gets you one step closer to appropriate treatment, and getting better. Keep fighting!

Anonymous said...

I'm somehow relieved about the Lyme disease diagnosis...and very, very sorrow about the shingles.
Job comes to mind. Lyme is awful...but it is definite! God bless you and keep you and make you whole again. G. Betty