Monday, February 16, 2009

valentine's day

It was a simple and quiet day. Spent with my beloved.

I honestly cannot understand why God so graciously blessed me with such an excellent husband. Spencer never ceases to amaze me - his love for Christ is so evident in his actions and character - wisdom, compassion, steadfastness, patience, humility, eagerness to serve. He leads me in such a Christlike manner - placing my needs above his own, gently exhorting and challenging me when I need it, always seeking to protect and nurture me. He never complains about all he has to do for me while I'm so sick - and believe me, he has a LOT to do - he joyfully and faithfully goes about caring for me in the gentlest, most attentive way.

He was so thoughtful and surprised me with homemade wheat-free scones for breakfast. Sadly, I was so nauseous and could hardly get anything down. It was still such a sweet gesture and we had a lovely morning cuddling and finishing a movie.

I spent most of the day wilted on the couch. My body has been so unhappy.

Meanwhile, Spencer cheerfully did housework. I am so eager to have the strength and energy to help out with chores again, so that this poor man can actually get some rest on the weekend.

In the late afternoon, Spencer decided to take me out for a drive for a change of scenery. I've been too sick to get out of the house lately, so it was wonderful to enjoy the sky, trees, and sea.

I was exhausted from even a short drive, so when we got home, I crashed in bed while Spencer made dinner. Tri tip, parmesan risotto, and green beans. That man can cook! It all turned out SO good.

All day I was hoping and praying I'd have a bit of an appetite so I could actually enjoy the meal. And I did! It was wonderful to actually enjoy eating, rather than mechanically shoveling food in my mouth and forcing myself to swallow.

All in all, a very sweet day, despite feeling awful. We've both come to terms with how a chronic illness has no regard for holidays or special occasions. You feel just as rotten as any other day. And rather than be sad about how we can't celebrate how we'd like to, we're trying to make the most of it.

3 thoughts:

Rochelle said...

Glad you were able to make the most of it. Praying for you lots.
**HUGS**

DeedieLynn said...

It's great to see pictures! I recognize that hat, too.

The dinner and the scones sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

Melody,
I have been reading your blogs for about two months now and have been praying for you since then. It was great to see you when you were down here... Please let me know if you ever need anything. I will keep reading your blog(s) and will DEFINITELY keep you in my prayers. Say hello to Spencer. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him, too, as he cares for you.

Much love,
Abby