I had my first follow up appointment for Lyme treatment on Tuesday. I do not have bartonella (the Lyme co-infection that Melody has). I will be continuing on the same course of treatment for another month after which we will assess whether a different treatment is necessary. I will also be tested for adrenal gland function to see if it is playing a role in my increased fatigue and unrestful sleep (adrenal function can be significantly impaired by Lyme).
I have not yet lost my thumb to gangrene. The wound seems to be on the mend and the pain is not too bad (until I forget my hand is hurt and I try to use it). There is nerve damage and I cannot feel most of the front of my thumb. Because it is only feeling and not muscle or mobility issues, I was told there is not very much that can be done except let it heal and hope it comes back. I had a followup appointment Wednesday morning with Occupational Health to get see how it is healing and find out if anything more can be done. The nurse practitioner said there was no one in our county who could help with nerve damage, but she would see if the Workers Comp would cover an appointment elsewhere. I am waiting to hear back on that still. I have been able to work this week. My employer has been very accommodating and kind. He is more than happy to find things for me to do that will not stress my hand too much.
Melody is still feeling extremely awful and is very ill. Our doctor thinks that her exacerbated symptoms are caused by a resurgence of the Bartonella infection after she stopped taking Cipro. So, even though she was very sick while she was on Cipro (which is why our doctor took her off it), everything has become so much worse since she stopped it. We are waiting on liver test results to see if we can begin more aggressive and much needed antibiotic therapy.
It has been a rough week watching my beloved, who not that long ago was a happy, vivacious woman eager to be married and start a career, barely be able to sit up long enough to take something to ease the pain. To not be able to console her when she wakes up screaming and weeping after a nightmare. At my appointment on Tuesday, even our doctor mentioned to me how worried she was for Melody and told me to not hesitate to call about Melody. I thank everyone for their prayers for Melody. Melody's mother has graciously come to help us. It is very encouraging to know someone is here with Melody while I am at work or at the Marine Lab. We are both very thankful for her help during this difficult time.
goodbye, Petrova!
14 years ago

4 thoughts:
Thanks for this update Spencer. We are praying for you both daily. My heart goes out to Melody so much.
I was introduced on cyber-space to Melody via our dear mutual friend, Monica G. I have come to love Melody dearly and pray for her often. I have Fibromyalgia and can sympathize with you guys to some degree.
Hugs & Prayers!
My heart is burdened for you two continually and therefore you are in my prayers continually! Thankful for a God who knows all and cares for us even in the most trying times.
Thanks for posting, Spencer. We are praying for Melody and you. It must be very hard for you to watch your Beloved suffer, so overcome with Lyme and Bartonella. It must also be very frustrating when there is little you can do to actually change the situation.
We are very happy that Deanna is able to help you two. There's nothing like having your Mom there when you're sick.
Keep us posted on your poor thumb, Spencer. Praying that you'll find a good hand doctor and that you'll regain the feeling in your thumb.
Hey, wondering how you guys are doing, I know it has got to have been a super hard week. Is your mom there Melody? We have been praying for you and thinking of you lots, Hoping that this round will start killing off the badun's. Hang in there,
Praising God for your faith,
Havilah
Post a Comment