Tuesday, April 08, 2008

food

I am sitting on our couch, basking in a warm sunspot. And I have a bowl of rice, blackbeans, and pico de gallo. Yum! One of my favorite comfort meals...so simple and healthy.

What is your favorite comfort meal(s)?

Speaking of food, thanks to those who answered my silly survey. I was curious about which foods would be considered most bearable to give up completely. I find it funny no one selected gluten...that's such a hard one to exclude entirely! (I feel for you, Heather!) If I could choose, I think it'd be a toss up between soy and egg.

I've been doing well with eating these days... I'm growing content in going without stuff like gluten, egg, and dairy. I'm not feeling quite so much like I'm missing out by "giving up" those foods. Well, okay, I didn't have to "give up" egg. It usually grosses me out anyways, so I don't really miss it. I guess it's becoming much more of an intention to not eat those foods rather than feeling deprived (yep, I realized I'm pretty pathetic to feel deprived just for not getting to eat certain things). I've been doing lots of research and the majority of what I am learning about my health struggles further affirms the advice I've received from M.D.s, allergists, and nutritionists... don't eat gluten and dairy! I really think I need to stick with this. As a lifestyle.

Being a people pleaser, the idea of consistently avoiding certain foods makes me nervous, as I don't want to come off as picky, high maintenance, or especially, a hypochondriac! I feel horrible for telling people I can't eat a certain meal they want to prepare for me. I feel snobby to say I can't eat in that restaurant because there isn't anything on the menu that I can eat. You all know I tend to be a "go with the flow" sort of person who doesn't like to make a scene. Haha, I'm realizing that while I'm not picky or high maintenance, my body certainly is. It's time to swallow my pride and get over my fear of man! If someone decides I'm picky, then so be it. I'm slowly realizing just how important it is that I be diligent in eating well at all times so that my body can function somewhat optimally. Eating the wrong stuff just to please someone else simply isn't worth it, as I'll most likely spend the next few days being quite useless as I recover from that meal.

Wow, I feel sheepsih for how much I just wrote. I'm sorry if it came off as complaining or moping. I'm actually feeling quite driven and excited about all of this. Just wanted to share where I'm at and what I'm learning. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Oh, and about my question regarding your comfort meal...Please do share and don't feel self conscious if that meal is oozing with cheese, wheat, and eggs... I'm glad you enjoy it :)

12 thoughts:

DeedieLynn said...

It varies with me depending on my mood and the weather:
A toasted bagel with apple butter and regular butter... a banana with peanut butter... seasoned curly fries from Carl's... pizza and root beer.
Those are some of them! pretty simple.

DWKing said...

Comfort meal? Ice cream with crumble thin mint Girl Scout cookies and chocolate syrup. Ice cream with real maple syrup. Oh, MEAL? Oh, that... Let's see... I like breakfast for dinner, like scrambled eggs with ham pieces, toast and jam. Real dinner comfort food? Hmmmm... Well, how about Deanna's homemade chicken soup with a thick slice of french bread and real butter. Yummmy.

Thank you for sharing... every word and nuance. Love you! Dad

Anonymous said...

Matzoball Soup. My mom and aunts always make it on Christmas Day. My mom's family is Jewish, but she and her sisters were raised Christian, but we have "Jewish food" on Christmas. Matzoball soup is warm, filling, and you can add as little or as much as you want to it. It is perfect on a cold day or when you are in need of comfort.

lindahitzeroth said...

On a cold day...homemade soup, sour dough bread and butter. Or maybe Milton's chicken and rice casserole...ask Spencer! On a hot day, or maybe any day...Breyer's ice cream.

No need to be embarrassed about doing whatever it takes to be healthy, no matter how unusual your dietary needs, no matter what people think. Don't even worry about it! People who care enough to want to feed you, care enough to want you well. You are loved!

h a v i l a h said...

Rice and Corn and Peas.
And you have to say it like that. That is how we say it all the time here, and that is how we eat it all the time here.
I know what you mean about not wanting to offend people with the way you need to eat. Jamin and I need to learn that with money. I think we all need to learn to not be ashamed or sorry for who we are. Healthy, sick, rich, poor, happy, sad.... Not that we can't try to be better, but to be thankful in any situation. You are inspiring my girl :)

H said...

i totally know how you feel about 'making a scene'. I'm still not sure HOW I'd tell someone who invited us over that I can't have gluten. So far I've just eaten what looks like I CAN eat it. And i've been sorry I didn't say something! :)

My favorite comfort food is Doritos dipped in cream cheese and an ice cold coke. I really don't like cream cheese and I only ever eat it with Doritos or bagels. So now I don't EVER eat it. haha! I guess post-celiac I'd say I've come to enjoy fried chicken and twice baked potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Twice baked potatoes. I'm having them for my birthday lunch tomorrow, with fresh asparagus, baking powder biscuits, orange sherbet, and Pepperidge Farm cookies with chocolate filling. The potatoes will be topped with cheddar cheese and crisp bacon bits, and I hope the potato skin will be chewy. GB

Anonymous said...

mmmm right now it's anything that wasn't mass produced in a caf. i like home cooked. i think my biggest comfort is good pasta. it just makes me feel warm : D

Anonymous said...

p.s. keep up w/ the diet thing. and you don't sounds mopey or pathetic. i feel for you and applaud you for the will power to stick to this. i wouldn't want to trade you places (sorry to say)

oh and the comment above was from me
*abigail

Vanessa & Warren said...

Hi Melody,
I was looking at your last post and I'm not sure about the azalea but the white flower looks like a trillium...maybe you already knew that...I think they are pretty rare in CT, we only find them once in a while. But maybe they grow like grass where you guys are! My parents love them. I actually considered getting a pearly trillium hair pin for our wedding, then noticed that it cost $500. :D
Comfort food...probably going to a diner and getting a pleasant mishmash of breakfast and lunch foods. Or insalata caprese...slices of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil with salt, pepper and the TINIEST drizzle of olive oil. Mm mm.

Jennifer said...

Ice cream is definetly my comfort food! Chili and cornbread is nice and cozy too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melody It's Rachael! I just met with Vanessa and Sharron a couple of weeks ago for my birthday over at Islands and Vanessa told me about blog spot. I had a little trouble getting on, but I finally figured it out and I'm here! Anyway, some of my favorite comfort foods are meat and potatoes and Bisquick Biscuts. My dad ate a lot of beef so I guess it reminds me of him. I take after him. Now that I finally got on to your blog spot you can bet I'll be stopping a lot more! I'm glad you and Spencer are doing well. Congratulations on your test and grace to you!