Saturday, December 06, 2008

thoughts

I've been meaning (quite sincerely!) to post more often, but am usually deterred by two things: either my fingers and wrists hurt too severely and are too stiff to type much, or else I'm feeling self conscious over repeatedly posting about how bad I feel.

Today I am hindered by both of the above. But alas, I really should try to at least post something a bit more often...

I am still struggling with pain and fatigue. A great deal.

It's incredibly discouraging to see so little improvement or relief. Especially after spending a large amount of hard earned dollars to see several physicians, have extensive testing done, and buy vitamins, medications, and supplements. All the while sticking with an incredibly restrictive diet for months and months. I am continuing to diligently stick with the diet, supplements, medications, and other instructions from my doctors. We are trying to remain hopeful and patient and keep pressing on as best we can, but it is disheartening to see such little change or improvement.

In all honesty, we are both very discouraged. Just when I experience a glimmer of improvement and we begin to get excited about it, I am knocked back down by something else. The past few days have been immensely painful for me, reducing me to a state of writhing around, crying out like a wounded animal. I am desperate, wishing there was a way to escape my body to get away from the relentless pain.

I hate to complain or sound like a downer, but I am TIRED of trying to tough it out and put on a "I'm okay, I'm hanging in there" face. I am not okay. 
 
Despite this rather depressing description of what things are like for us, Spencer and I are learning and growing during this painful time, being refined by our loving and merciful Maker. We are repeatedly humbled and amazed at how God gives us the strength and grace to get through each day - this has been such a painful time for us, but He has proven Himself faithful, trustworthy, and kind, blessing us with exactly what we need to endure the trial. That's not to say that there aren't days that we grumble and cry, shaking our fists and wondering "why us?" We struggle a lot with discouragement and frustration, so please do pray for us.

Our Lord is sovereign, and we trust that He is doing this for our good, and better yet, for His glory. We take comfort in realizing that He is using this suffering to draw us near to one another and ultimately, nearer to Him. Our marriage has been a storm-tossed one thus far, but we continue to fall further in love with one another as we weather these trials together. We are far from what we ought to be, and I am ashamed to say I have not endured this trial with the grace, trust, or patience that God so desires. Despite our hopeless number of flaws and failings, He has never forsaken us and is with us through it all, guiding, protecting, sustaining, and refining. To Him be the glory.

The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail. - Isaiah 58:11


Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:28-31



a beautiful day from back in November

7 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

i admire you Melody. as always you and Spencer are in my prayers.
Thank you for your honesty and faith. it is humbling and encouraging :)
*Abigail

Kirra said...

Oh Mel. Taylor and I will be praying for you both. I cannot imagine or understand how difficult and challenging each day must feel. I love your honesty and your "broken trust" in our great God. Thank you for posting how you are feeling.

DWKing said...

My heart goes out to you... always. Thank you for sharing candidly. I send my love, both in spirit and with Deanna, who, Lord willing, will be there in the flesh tonight! Much love and prayer, Dad

Anonymous said...

You inspire me with your faith and perseverance. Thanks for sharing.I'm definitely praying for you both.

Rochelle said...

You have nothing to be sorry about. It has helped me soooo much to read your blog and know that someone else is out there like me, struggling with pain and fatigue in ways that most people will never truly understand. This road can be so lonely, yet God remains our refuge and our hope. I often end up writing about other things too because I don't want to sound like an endless source of complaining, but I'm learning that just sharing our stories without so much complaining... teaching others how we are growing in the Lord during this time, learning to trust him more, relying on him so much for our needs, and learning to be thankful despite it all... it helps others to see this condition through our eyes, and it helps them understand a little bit more what it's like to go through this. It's not easy, but if we remember and help remind others that God is our strength--even in the darkest days when we forget about him too because we are in so much agony--then I think that really helps others. It encourages them, it helps them see more of God through us, and it shows them the light of Christ if they don't know him. Because we know him. And we seek to be more like him every day despite the extreme pain and horrible fatigue and utter helplessness. He is our help. He is our guide. When you don't feel like writing, sometimes just one little line can help us know how to pray for you and keep you in mind when you're having a rock-bottom kind of day.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY, GREAT THINGS HE HAS DONE AND IS DOING!!!

Your blogging fibro buddy...

H said...

As always I'm praying for you daily! I wish there was something more I could do for you!

lindahitzeroth said...

I've been calling out to God on your behalf, Melody. You and Spencer are never far from my thoughts. I am always moved by your expressions of courage and faith in God's mercy in spite of your circumstances. I'm glad your Mom is with you now to comfort, encourage, and help you at a time when you seem more troubled than ever. I have always thought that surely God would one day heal you. I will persistently beseach Him to do just that. Keep on believing that with me. Don't loose hope, Melody.