Now a days it seems like you can buy just about anything organic. I've been one to laugh at the hype and figure I've got more to worry about than whether or not my potatoes and bath towels are 100% organic.
I've contentedly strolled past the organic section of the produce department to go pick out my cheaper fruits and veggies. But in the back of my mind, I can't help but feel a little weird. Why am I knowingly putting things in my body that have pesticides on them? Is it really that harmful, or is it perfectly safe? Is it worth it spending extra money for "peace of mind?"
Well, I found this nifty little chart that helps a bit. If I'm going to buy stuff that's organic, here are the things that are worth it to spend a bit extra on versus the stuff that is probably just fine to buy regular...
Here's more info on how the list was made. And here's a larger listing of foods and the amount of pesticides found on them...
So yeah. I'll continue to buy lots of stuff the cheap and easy way. But now I feel like it's smart to be a bit choosy about stuff from the "dirty dozen" list. I figure since I'm a woman of child bearing age who also happens to be a horrible detoxifier (lab work to prove it), it wouldn't hurt to go a little bit organic :)
goodbye, Petrova!
14 years ago

4 thoughts:
I recently came across the same list. :) And actually, I have a longer version that lists pretty much every fruit/vegetable and ranks them so you can see which are the least likely to have pesticides, and which fall somewhere in the middle.
thanks - good stuff to know!
Mommmm
wow i now feel like i need to be wayyyyy! more conscious of the food that goes into my body... but if i want to eat in the caf that probably means not eating.... anything!
i applaud your self control and food consciousness
*abigail
very interesting!!
Post a Comment