Wednesday, February 06, 2008

plans

Many plans are in a man's heart, but the counsel of the LORD will stand.
~Proverbs 19:21

I'm a planner. I love making lists. I'm really good at managing my time and setting realistic goals to accomplish in a set amount of time. I made some really good plans for this week. I laid out a few basic tasks I wanted to accomplish, and divided them up into small, manageable chunks. I took into account how poorly I've been feeling and planned accordingly, making sure I'd have adequate rest and not be overdoing it. On Sunday evening as I lay in bed, I committed this week and my plans to God and asked Him to give me the strength to do the things I needed to do. I felt optimistic and ambitious as I drifted off to sleep.

Monday morning. I overslept! I woke up feeling quite yucky and not at all rested. Got up, made something to eat, and already was exhausted, so I flopped onto the couch and lay there for a few hours. The rest of the day continued to be incredibly tiring and I only accomplished one thing on my list. I felt frustrated and had a rather bad attitude about it.

Tuesday. I woke up at a better time (hooray!). "Today." I think, "Today I'll be able to get things done..." Ate some breakfast, tidied up a bit, and ugh, that overwhelming fatigue started to set in. "Okay, push through this." I took rest breaks, drank plenty of water, and paced myself. But to no avail, by early afternoon I was done for. My body simply wasn't cooperating, no matter how badly I wanted it to. As the day progressed, I felt worse and worse. Those few things I had planned to do that day seemed to be slipping through my fingers and I felt incredibly desperate. In tears, I wondered what I had done wrong...I had asked God for help and committed my plans to Him...why couldn't I do simple things like laundry and dishes and studying? Why was it so difficult to get such basic tasks accomplished? Feelings of being a failure engulfed me.

Today has been quiet and simple. Been feeling yucky and have had very little energy or ability to do much at all. I haven't even looked at my list of plans for today. But it's okay somehow. At first it was okay because I felt resigned to it, but now I feel at peace about it. Yes, I made wise and beneficial plans for this week, but that doesn't mean they were what God intended for me...

I may be a super good planner, but I am a lousy truster. I committed my plans to God, but I now realize that my heart was pretty much saying "I will do these things I want to do...for You, God" rather than "may Your good and perfect will be done in these plans of mine. I will accept whatever you do with them." Sure, I wanted to accomplish my tasks out of a desire to please God, but I got so caught up in doing them that I failed to recognize that my feeble plans just might not be what He had in store for this week. So, when my plans were not working out, I felt incredibly disappointed and frustrated, wondering what went wrong. What I ought to have been doing in the first place was trust that His plans are far better than mine, thus gladly accepting a change in plans... I have much to learn :) Thanks be to God, for His mercy and patience in teaching slow learners like me!

Tomorrow's plans: I've got my list of things to do and the determination to do what I can, but am also seeking to trust that God knows best and rest in that. If my plans don't go the way I think they should, that's okay. He has something better in mind.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

4 thoughts:

DWKing said...

I feel for you, dear Melody. Thinking of you and remembering you in prayer. (In the middle of the night in Cedar Rapids Iowa of all places...) :) Dad

lindahitzeroth said...

It must be very frustrating, indeed. But don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure whatever plans you made were made with the right intentions. It was just too ambitious given your health issues. The work can wait, Melody. Study for your test when you feel able, get plenty of sleep, and let God and your loving husband take care of the remainder. You can only do what you can do.

DeedieLynn said...

Good thoughts for all of us - thanks! I love you! mom

Unknown said...

I've been so sorry to hear how poorly you've been feeling. I've also been convicted by your attitude. Thanks for posting!