Monday, March 03, 2008

liver and onions

Spencer and I are pretty adventurous when it comes to food. We enjoy trying new stuff. We came across info recently about how good liver is for you and were rather intrigued. Neither of us have ever eaten it before, so we figured, why not give it a try? We grew up hearing about how horrible brussels sprouts were and we love those, so maybe we'd enjoy liver...

Spencer cooked and seasoned it with the greatest care. We had a lovely side of onions and some other veggies. Just for the heck of it, we even lit candles. This was going to be a yummy and fun meal. I took a shower while Spencer actually cooked the liver and when I walked out of the bathroom, the smell was overpowering. I tried to not pay attention to it and continued to look forward to my liver and onions dinning experience.

We sat down, dished up, prayed, and dug in. I cut a teeny tiny piece of liver and scooped it up with a bit of sauteed onion. A couple of chews and it tasted horrible. I persevered and chewed some more, desperately trying to ignore the offensive flavor. I said something to Spencer about it not being too bad and he pointed out that I had yet to even swallow the first bite (you know how you gingerly toss something really gross or hot around in your mouth to avoid tasting or burning?) I managed to overcome my gag reflex and force the piece down. Spencer wasn't at all impressed with our dinner either, but he was able to finish the slice on his plate. I gagged down two more pieces smothered in onions and veggies before giving up.

We both had a good laugh. As much as we wanted to like liver, it wasn't happening. I am a really easy going eater and the only food I do NOT like is capers. And those I can at least chew and swallow if need be. Spencer asked what I would do if I were a guest somewhere being served liver. I really have no idea. There's no way I'd be able to force it down out of politeness. We both had fun trying it out though and enjoyed the vegetable side dish that became our main dish.

5 thoughts:

H said...

That is SO funny. I'm glad you tried because I've been curious about it too. And actually someone told me to grate raw liver into Georgie's formula. Matt vetoed that idea and now I'm glad he did because it sounds like she'd never eat!

I dislike capers too!

Anonymous said...

so gross. so so so gross.

my mom likes liver&onions and the rest of us think she's insane. thankfully, my dad has his senses about him, because we were never forced to endure an entire meal of it... we had to try it once, and since dad hated it, too, it's the one time we were allowed to eat mac n' cheese instead of what was cooked for dinner.

i'm gagging just remembering. ick!

Vanessa & Warren said...

I think everyone has a painful memory of being forced to try liver at some point. I agree that it's just about the most disgusting thing on the planet and as a rule I will eat anything- sushi and other seafood, crazy mushrooms, etc. I concur with your decision! Anyway it's high in cholesterol. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I agree about liver. It helped me to learn that it's loaded with cholesterol. I do like beef heart! Try it sometime. And tongue. Love, GB

lindahitzeroth said...

Glad to see you made the effort. I used to eat it when I was a kid...liver and onions, and some bacon with it also. I can't say it was one of my favorites, but it wasn't totally offensive to me either. And I loved the sauted onions and bacon. I always put ketchup on the actual liver, which improved it as well. Have you ever tried liver sausage, sometimes called braunschweiger or liverwurst? That is a soft, finely ground, almost creamy in texture, smoked liver sausage. It is very German. Both my grandfather and Todd's, too, ate it fairly regularly. I actually like that, also with ketchup, in a sandwich or as a sread on french rolls.